Re: Burn CD

hce:

> Ok, I am going to install wodim (I've  never used it, may take me days
> to learn it). Years ago, seems everyone used cdrecord for burning CD.
> Is it in now days that the wodim is more popular than the cdrecord?

That depends on your definition of popularity. :)

Wodim is nothing but a fork of a quite old version of cdrecord and, as
far as I know, only exists inside Debian. The main reason for this fork
are a dispute over Jörg Schilling's (cdrecord author) licensing and (at
least I think so) the difficulties between the Debian maintainers and
Jörg Schilling. If you search this list's archives for mails from
Schilling, you will probably find a whole lot of flame fests with
insults coming from both sides.

Debian maintainers aren't the only ones finding it difficult to work
with Schilling, though, and as far as I can tell the licensing concerns
from the Debian crowd are (partly) valid. But obviously there are
various opinions on the subject. Jörg Schilling appears to scan Debian
lists for discussions about cdrecord/wodim anyway, so there is only a
very small chance to miss his point of view in case you're interested.
:)

However, from a user's point of view, wodim is a drop-in replacement for
cdrecord as a CD (and DVD?) burning application. It works almost
exactly, if not better in some respects, like cdrecord did a few years
ago (I don't know which version of cdrecord wodim is based on). On the
other hand, wodim doesn't appear to be actively developed anymore, only
maintained. But since I have never had any problems with it, I don't
care very much.

J.
--
Fashion is more important to me than war, famine, disease or art.
[Agree]   [Disagree]