Re: mount dvd error

On 1/10/08, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 08:36:22PM +1100, hce wrote:

> > > package cdck.
> >
> > All right, I installed cdck package. Here is the interesting test:
> >
> > 1. In my linux box for a DVD which could not be read, it was an error:
> > $ sudo cdck -d /dev/hdc
> > Unable to read TOC because unable to read TOC, reason: Input/output error.
> >

> Why sudo?  If you are able to play a cd or watch a dvd as yourself then
> you shouldn't need sudo.  If you can't I don't know if sudo would help.

I acutally tried both sudo or without sudo, it got the same result.
You are right, I should not use the sudo in the first place.

> > But, if I put that dvd disk to another machine Window XP OS, it works fine.
> >
> > 2. In my linux box, I put another DVD disk:
> >
> > $ sudo cdck -d /dev/hdc
> >
> > ! TOC and lseek() return different information about size , using
> > lseek()'s number of sectors which is 2077024
> >
> > Reading sectors 1-2077024
> > 2077024 ok
> >
> > CD overall:
> >    Sectors total: 2077024:
> >    Good sectors: 2077024:
> >    Bad sectors (incl. with poor timing): 0
> > CD timings:
> >    Minimal = 11 usec (0.000011s)
> >    Maximal = 151716 usec (0.151716s)
> >    Average = 204 usec (0.000204s)
> >
> > The linux box DVD drive works fine for some disks, but not for one
> > disk which can be read from a window XP box, what is that tell me, my
> > linux box dvd drive (LG Multi RW) is low quality, or not reliable?
> >

> Same drive as me, I think, and I never have any problems.
>
> > 3. Is it correct for any blank CD / DVD it prints out:
> >
> > $ sudo cdck -d /dev/hdd
> > Unable to read TOC because unable to open cdrom '/dev/hdd', reason: No
> > medium found
>
> Well, any blank CD / DVD wouldn't have a TOC.  cdck may not be written
> to handle such things gracefully.  The drive/driver also may not be able
> to tell the difference between no medium and blank medium if you ask it
> to read the medium.
>
> If, with a known good CD, if you can't play it as yourself, i.e. without
> sudo, then your problem may be a permissions thing.  Ensure that you
> are in the cdrom, audio, and video groups.  Solve this problem first.
>
> Then use cdck without sudo.
>
> Re DVDs, have you got the codecs from debian-multimedia.org?  I.e. do
> you have their repository in your sources.list and do you have the
> necessary recommended/suggest packages of the dvd libs?  You may be
> missing whatever it is you need to play that DVD.

I have no problem to play DVD video as long as the DVD disk can be
detected and read by the DVD drive.

The problem was only for the particular DVD disk which cannot be
detected and read by my debina linux, but can be read by a window XP
machine, that is really bothers me.

Thank you.

Jim