Re: No DNS consistency checks in Debian spam filter?

Mike Bird wrote:
On Tue January 8 2008 13:30:22 John Hasler wrote:
Mike Bird writes:
No, I checked headers during the flood.  Debian was forwarding spam
directly received from hosts with PTR records without matching A records.
That just means it doesn't use your favorite method (because many ISPs have
broken DNS).

Hmm, I'm postmaster and maintainer for quite a lot of Linux mail servers,
mostly Debian/Postfix and some Fedora/QMail.  Several years ago when we
started enforcing consistent rDNS we'd get about one complaint per month
related to ISPs with broken rDNS.  I don't think we had any such complaints
in 2007.

If in 2008 Debian is not enforcing rDNS consistency checks at SMTP-connect
time then Debian is doing a poor job of blocking spam.  Worse - Debian is
unnecessarily relaying millions of spams per day.  Once relayed, those spams
become much harder to block.

Please reconsider.

Oddly, exim4 on Debian does this by default and it is effective. Another thing that helps is to ask for an ident. Exim4 also does this by default, and doesn't require an answer but waits 30 seconds for one before continuing the SMTP session. Any legitimate server will happily wait for 30 seconds, most spammers won't, making it a cheap sanction.

Really, if I, as a one-man-band leasing one IP address from someone else, can organise a complementary A-PTR pair, I don't see why anyone charging money and calling themselves an ISP can't.