Re: No DNS consistency checks in Debian spam filter?

On Tue January 8 2008 13:30:22 John Hasler wrote:
> Mike Bird writes:
> > No, I checked headers during the flood.  Debian was forwarding spam
> > directly received from hosts with PTR records without matching A records.
>
> That just means it doesn't use your favorite method (because many ISPs have
> broken DNS).

Hmm, I'm postmaster and maintainer for quite a lot of Linux mail servers,
mostly Debian/Postfix and some Fedora/QMail.  Several years ago when we
started enforcing consistent rDNS we'd get about one complaint per month
related to ISPs with broken rDNS.  I don't think we had any such complaints
in 2007.

If in 2008 Debian is not enforcing rDNS consistency checks at SMTP-connect
time then Debian is doing a poor job of blocking spam.  Worse - Debian is
unnecessarily relaying millions of spams per day.  Once relayed, those spams
become much harder to block.

Please reconsider.

--Mike Bird