Re: What is going on in debian-user?

Chris Howie(cdhowie@gmail.com) is reported to have said:
> On Jan 8, 2008 2:32 PM, David Brodbeck <brodbd@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>
> > Maybe it's time to revisit the idea of allowing only members to post?
> >

> Or people could stop talking about it and get back to their lives, since it
> was fixed some hours ago.

Your right Chris.  This seems to come up at least once a year.  People
complaining about too much spam on the list and what the 'list admins'
should do about it.  It very sad.

Because I am on dialup, I got real tired of the spam I was getting on
all of my mail accounts.  I searched for a cure and, at the time,
found it in the debian mailfilter package.  It cut the spam getting
through SA by 90% at first, and got better as I 'taught' it to get
smarter.  Mailfilter, for those that don't know, deletes the spam at
the ISP, so I don't have to download it.

A new mailfilter type program came out 2-3 years ago.  It improves on
the mailfilter (headers only) method by including a mail body check.
The program is called murx <http://murx.sourceforge.net> and since
installing it and improving my filter rules I have not seen the
increase in spam that those of you that are complaining are seeing.

In fact, my logs show more messages compiling about spam, then spam
messages.  About a 5-6 to 1 ratio.

This is Linux.  Why should people expect someone else to filter spam
for us when we can do it ourselves.  I don't use the spam filters
offered by my (windbloz based) ISP. I use Linux tools to do it.

BTW the same spam that 'was' getting through my filters on D-U were on
most of my other debian lists as well.  The spammers are getting
clever, they go to the most popular mailing lists, first.

I can't understand why anyone would give up the D-U list, with all of
its great information, just because of a bit of spam.  Take some time
to improve your knowledge of the tools offered by this fantastic OS,
and get on with enjoying it.  Remember, the tools are on the OS and
the help you need is right here on D-U.

Happy New Year Gals and Guys!

Wayne

--
Hardware, n.:
        The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.