Using apt-cacher with the Debian Installer

I've used apt-cacher for years, but I've never managed to get it working properly with the installation process. During install I select "enter mirror information manually" and I put in http://my.server:3142 as the server and ftp.uk.debian.org/debian as the directory. It doesn't work (for the installer components I mean - it works fine if I do a full install from CD, but I want it to work from any kind of install, even just two floppies).

Shouldn't this just work? It works for installed systems on the same network. Googling it reveals little because most of the hits are about apt-cacher-ng. Is ng better? I see no other reason to switch, since the original works perfectly, but if ng has better support for d-i I'd consider it.

Am I doing something stupid? I read somewhere that you need to set path_map in apt-cacher.conf, but I don't see why it would be necessary for d-i and not for normal use. If this is what is needed, could somebody explain?

Grateful for any thoughts on this,

CC

This e-mail may contain information which is confidential, legally privileged and/or copyright protected. This e-mail is intended for the addressee only. If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer