Re: What's happening with the 3.1r7 install iso?

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 08:32:34PM -0800, joseph lockhart wrote:

> what about using Damn Small Linux, a little
> lightweight but installs as sarge (at least the last
> one i checked did DSL 3.4.4)

Not as easily as one might think. There are many pitfalls along the way.
You get to find out why its called Damn Small Linux fairly quickly.

Getting bash_completion to work fully, i.e. with man pages etc, was fun
in fact DSL comes with no man pages.

A lot of stuff was in the /opt and /usr/local/* directories. The search
paths were different than for a normal Sarge install which made
transitioning difficult, i.e. you couldn't just change them round and
expect things to work. Thats where the 'which' command came in handy.

I wouldn't go that route again if I could help it. Luckily I had a
'proper' Sarge install to compare initscripts and configuration files
in /etc otherwise ... :-(

*Then*, there's the upgrade to Etch. :-)

And to top it all off, this is on a noisy Dell Latitude Laptop with crappy
bios. I only installed from DSL cause the Sarge disk would bomb out at
the package verification stage which I think was due to hardware and
bios interaction. Even DSL or cfdisk wouldn't 'see' the HD if using the
suggested 'install command' from the install prompt. cfdisk couldn't see
it from a shell. Buried in the documentation was a command (which I
can't remember) which, when given at the install prompt somehow,
miraculously, worked.

Anyway ...

Now happily running Etch + backports. Soon to ditch fluxbox and upgrade
to Fvwm.

--
Chris.
======