Re: Another flood of spam

On Jan 7, 2008 8:01 PM, David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/7/08, Chris Howie <cdhowie@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > That's very possible.  I've been furiously flagging things as spam in gmail
> > all morning and others have probably flagged the same messages too, causing
>
> I'm not sure whether or not "mark as spam" in gmail does anything
> other than just sending the
> affected messages to their spam folder.
>
> Anyone know differently?

It does actually have a purpose in life.  From the manual located at
<URL:http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=6602>:

The more spam you mark, the better our system will get at weeding out
those annoying messages. If you or we should happen to goof and mark a
good message as spam, click Not Spam at the top of the message. If you
marked it as spam, you can also click Undo immediately after to
recover the message.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca