problem restarting services ...

Hi ... I'm having problems in my Debian Etch ( made with debootstrap ) to restart two services in particular.  One is apache2, I issue:

# /etc/init.d/apache2 start

And it does nothing, and when I call it by:

# apache2

It starts.  I can't manage also to start the sudo init.d script that way.  In another pc installed from the installation discs everything works fine.  My guess is that since debootstrap doesn't install much of the programs that the other one does ( sudo for example ), I'm missing something ...

Can anybody help me?
Thanks