Re: re-using a damaged disk

On Jan 7, 2008 3:37 PM, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

> Even if the filesystem type didn't need to be fsck'ed, for a damaged
> drive I wanted to try to reuse, I wouldn't put real data on it until I
> had exercised it for 24 hrs straight anyway.

I agree, stress it as much as you can, ie. create partitions before
and after the damaged part of the drive, create a 512 MB file from
random data, then fill up the drive with that file (do the copying of
the file in parallel). Then, again in parallel, do md5 sums of those
files. Doing copying in parallel and then md5 summing in parallel will
stress the drive with seeking. If it completes successfully, I think
this drive would be "ok" to use for a year or so if you're lucky.