Re: re-using a damaged disk

On 01/07/08 08:00, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 08:19:16AM +0100, pol wrote:
Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
Since its only the /usr directory (presumably its own partition), don't
reformat it or you'll have to reinstall.  If it's ext2/3, use
# e2fsck -c -c /dev/xxx
That was my first recovering oeration.
It is about 10 hours 'fsck.ext3' is running now, yet less than half
partition has been scanned. My /usr partition is 2 GB.
Is it possible to pause the process, so as to be able to restart fsck later?

I am not aware of that option.
Has anything shown up in /var/log/syslog to indicate any drive problems?

When you say 'fsck.ext3', did you use '-c -c' or not?  If not, it will
only sort out the file system it won't look for bad blocks.

Probably another 12 hrs to go.

For a 2GB partition...

Which is why Smart People are working on a Linux fs that doesn't need to be fsck'ed. Sadly, I think they are doomed to failure (or fated to only partial success), because IMO speed is the polar opposite of data security.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian
because I hate vegetables!"
unknown