Re: filesystem throughput measurement

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
I'm considering getting a tape drive for intermediate backup and
long-term archiving (e.g. DLT-IV or LTO).  Newer drives require a higher
data rate to keep them fed than older drives.
I can measure raw hard drive speed with hdparm -Tt, but how do I measure
how fast a backup software could read from the filesystem to know how
fast a tape drive my box will support?

The box is an Athlon64 3800+ on an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe with 1 GB ram
(one stick only), with two Seagate 80 GB SATA-II drives.
The system filesystems are on LVM over RAID1 and the data filesystems
are on LVM striped volumes (for better speed).

I'm not familiar with speeds of modern tape drives, Doug, but it may be good to install matched pair of 1Gb (one on each side) to avoid a potential bottle neck?
Regards,

David Palmer
Linux User - #352034