Re: Hacking the OLPC XO

phillinux wrote:
At 10:41 PM 1/5/2008, you wrote:
On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 10:29:55PM -0500, phillinux wrote:
> Did anyone here work on the OLPC XO project???
>
> I'm a teacher who would be interested in adapting the XO for
> secondary school students. I would need to get a lightweight version
> of open office running on that machine.

<snip>

Why O.O.?
If you're looking for a small config., why not go for individual apps like Abiword and Gnumeric?
Why take on the bloat of O.O.?

These two apps would handle a large part of any study requirement, before looking for anything else you may need.
Presentations? If you need that? - Scribus?
Drawing? - Inkscape/Xfig?

With a classroom situation, you're probably better off with thin clients working off a central server. Have Postgresql sitting on that so that database facility isn't required on each machine. Debian-edu has a full spectrum of packages to assist in this sort of scenario. Also applications such as this:

http://packages.debian.org/etch/italc-client

...could do with a look.

> I guess the question I'm asking is, which is more possible:
> 1.  Getting Open Office to run on the existing XO OS & GUI

Why O.O.?

   or
> 2.  Could another GUI and apps be built on the XO kernel??

Fluxbox works in light situations.

> Does any of this make sense or is this a pipe dream?

I don't see why it's unachievable.
First the dream, with the intermediate step of positive action, to reach the final goal.

Take a good honest look at the dream first though.

The school bully/dope dealer/alcoholic parent (with OLPC, we're generally looking at third world, with all the socio/psychological aspects that go with that) could wind up with ownership of the laptop.

With learning - either regional-isolated over the net, or within the classic classroom aspect, some measure of control in minimising loss is provided.

The journey between home and school has always presented problems where the portable property factor exists.

Regards,
--
David Palmer
Linux User - #352034