Re: Hacking the OLPC XO

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 10:29:55PM -0500, phillinux wrote:
> Did anyone here work on the OLPC XO project???
>
> I'm a teacher who would be interested in adapting the XO for secondary
> school students. I would need to get a lightweight version of open office
> running on that machine.
>
> Is the XO GUI Python based??
> Could Open Office run on it??
> DSL uses a lightweight GUI. Could that run on an OX and could it support
> OpenOffice??
>
> I guess the question I'm asking is, which is more possible:
> 1.  Getting Open Office to run on the existing XO OS & GUI   or
> 2.  Could another GUI and apps be built on the XO kernel??

Which is more possible? Too many factors involved to answer.

So back up. what allows Oo.o to run on your linux box now? An
X-windows system. You don't even need a window manager. So, does the
XO have X? If so, and provided other minimum dependencies are met,
then yes you could run Oo.o on it. You might have better success with
some other, more lightweight apps though: abiword, gnumeric, etc.

And, what allows guis and apps to be built for a particular kernel?
Well, they're not built for the kernel, more like built for a
particular libc, but we'll ignore that part. What is needed to build
anything for a particular system is a compiler and development headers
for the various libraries used. Seeing as some apps have been ported
to the XO, that makes it a pretty good bet that there is a compiler
and the requisite libraries available.