Re: Anyone run nvidia driver + latest xorg 7.3?

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 01/04/08 10:12, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 09:59 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Damon L. Chesser wrote:
On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 06:45 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
<snip>

I conclude that this is perhaps due to the DRI being loaded and/or
running the latest binary from Nvidia.  However I never had an issue
running the latest sid xorg with the latest debian nvidia glx.
Thanks Damon. If you run the latest Sid nvidia driver that would be version 100.14.19 which came out 09/18/07

As I told Ron, I have to use the 96xx legacy series because of the cards that I have.

nv really does not compare with nvidia.
my multi-seat users need X.
I guess I am looking for new videocards.

Hugo

Hugo,

I think you mis-understand:  I run nvidia as a driver.  I just don't use
the Nvidia installer from Nvidia.  I use modual assistant to make the
drivers as per that link I sent.  Try it.  However, I know from
supporting RHEL that if you use the Nvidia installer, it is well known
to break things as it installs files where ever it wants to.  You will

Really?

I've been using the "native" ftp.nvidia.com driver with Debian for 3-4 years, without any breakage.

but I get:
The server at ftp.nvidia.com is taking too long to respond.

repeatedly. Normal?

The only thing I have to remember is to symlink libglx.so.169.04 to libglx.so whenever xserver-xorg-core is updated.

$ ls -1l libglx.so*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     16 Dec 31 03:03 libglx.so ->
                                                  libglx.so.169.04
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 763496 Dec  3 22:25 libglx.so.169.04
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 429010 Dec 21 18:43 libglx.so.software

have to insure all parts of it are installed.  I once read a posting
from a RH employee/devoloper how it breaks things (and hence will not be
supported by RH if sysreport shows it is installed) but the details are
forgotten.