Re: Terminal issues in fresh install

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 09:45:06PM -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 01:50:42PM +1300, Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> was heard to say:
> > On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 05:19:52PM -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > >   I'd guess that the locale of the workstation is relevant here.  Your
> > > terminal is going to be running in your locale (you didn't mention if
> > > was the system console or an X terminal, but I assume an X terminal),
> > > and so it won't know how to deal with UTF-8 sequences output by the
> > > commands you're running remotely.
> > >
> > >   Probably your best bet is to either enable UTF-8 locally or disable it
> > > remotely.
> >
> > Hi Daniel,
> >
> > I see that you are using mutt. Are you using a UTF-8 locale and also get
> > the thread indicators to show correctly? Or are you using a UTF-8 locale
> > but have something like export
> >
> > 	LC_CTYPE="en_US"
> >
> > in your .bashrc
>
>   I've been using a full UTF-8 locale since 2005.  I don't have any
> problems with the thread indicators, and I don't recall having any
> anytime recently.

I have just tried commenting out the LC_CTYPE="en_NZ" and logging out/in
then starting mutt and it's now working. (red faced emoticon goes here.)

It definately wasn't working at some stage earlier. It may have
something to do with:

	* adding vga=791 to kernel line in grub
	  (just tried without that option and its still ok)
	* not actually trying it since upgrading fully to etch

Should of tested one last time before posting.

--
Chris.
======