Debian on IBM NetVista Type 6578-RAU

Folk,

I have a pair of IBM NetVistas, Types 6578-RAU and RBU.

Debian Woody installed on S/N 78-T1XMN and ran
for about a year with no difficulty.  Then it started to
reboot spontaneously.  The operational intervals
became shorter until it was unusable.  When it is
fired up now, the display is OK initially and before
the login prompt appears, degenerates to what
might be called flak.  With an AGP video card installed,
bootup hangs at a kernel panic with a complaint
about an interrupt exception.

The Woody installer CD works on S/N 78-T1XFV until
Checking 'hlt' instruction...
There it hangs.  The installation process on the other
machine didn't have this problem.  Also, this machine
does not respond to the power switch on the front
panel.  According to the ohmeter, the switch is OK.

I've reinstalled the BIOS code and reset the "boot
block" on each machine to no avail.

Does anyone have experience with similar NetVistas?
Do these machines have marginal power supplies or some
other design fault which causes problems?
Any other ideas?

Thanks,           ... Peter E.

 http://carnot.yi.org/