Re: gdm and network-manager issues SOLVED

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 12:44 -0500, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> Just returned back to debian (been using Ubuntu for a while) and
> dist-upgraded to sid (as is my habit).  All works but I have two
> annoying things I don't know how to fix.
>
> 1.  When I boot up I see this:
>
> Starting gdm
> starting avahi
> starting dchp D-buss daemon
> starting hald
> starting MD monitoring servers
> starting network connection manager
>     a few more then it drops me to the system log on (CLI)
>
> I log in as root, issues "gdm" and X starts, gdm starts.
>
> Why is gdm not auto starting (default inittab runlevel 5 ) I see it come
> by on the boot messages (not listed in dmesg).  Is it because the start
> up order is wrong (gdm starting before HALD?)  How can I fix this?  X
> works, nvidia (the debian way) works.
>
> 2.   Once I start X and log on as my user I have no DNS service.  I can
> ping but can not resolve names>IP
>
> Here is my /etc/network/interfaces:
>
> > # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> > # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
> >
> > # The loopback network interface
> > auto lo
> > iface lo inet loopback
> >
> > # The primary network interface
> > allow-hotplug eth0
> > iface eth0 inet static
> > address 192.168.200.15
> > netmask 255.255.255.0
> > gateway 192.168.200.1
> >

> > iface eth1 inet static
> > address 192.168.200.16
> > netmask 255.255.255.0
> > gateway 192.168.200.1
> >

> > auto eth1
> >
> > auto eth0
>
> As you can see, it has the default Gateway defined there and it is correct.
>
> In order to get networking with DNS working I have to go into to gnome
> manager and to to the DNS tab and "add" 192.168.200.1 THEN this allows DNS.
>
> /etc/resolv.conf:
>
> > # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
> > resolvconf(8)
> > #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
> > nameserver 192.168.200.1
> How can I fix this behavior?
>
> If I go to init 1 and back up, it all works.  If I reboot, it will not
> work auto-magically.
>

> --
> Damon L. Chesser
> damon@damtek.com

I could not figure it out so I re-installed.  Lat time I intalled to
Lenny using netinstaller then dist-upgraded to Sid.  This time I
installed using expert and picked unstable to install from.  No issues
at all.  I figure some Lenny goo got stuck and messed up Sid.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com