Icedove opens embedded images in iceweasel

Using amd64 sid, updated today, KDE as Desktop.  2.6.23 kernel home rolled.

As of the recent icedove update (2 days ago) I am having a problem with icedove and embedded images. If I click the load images button it attempts to open each of the embedded images in a separate iceweasel window. As you can imagine with some e-mails this can run into tens or hundreds of iceweasel processes which quickly reduces my PC to a crawl and if not stopped causes it to thrash and require a reboot.

Anyone else seeing this problem or got any ideas how to fix it?

I've tried google and the BTS without success.

TIA

Wackojacko