Re: 3rd SATA scrambles drive order? "Begin: Waiting for root file system . . . . . ."

On Wednesday 02 January 2008 23:40, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2008 9:37 PM, Jonathan Wilson <jw@mailsw.com> wrote:
> > Is there something I can do about this? To make the new drive be sdc, I
> > mean?
>
> Why not mount by filesystem label instead of device name?  The
> filesystem label doesn't change just because disks decided to detect
> in a different order.

On Thursday 03 January 2008 09:49, Ron Johnson wrote:
[Are you Johnson's related? :-D]
> But if you don't want to recreate your swap partitions, you can
> still refer to them by UUID.
>
> # tune2fs -l /dev/sda1 | grep UUID
>
> Then edit /etc/fstab:
> UUID="3324e03c-f071-47da-b5eb-3889836d802e" swap swap pri=1 0 0
>
> > Is there no way to control the order that the sata controllers
> > get mapped ?
>
> Maybe, but labels and UUIDs obviate the need.

Someone else said using IDs in fstab only works with ext2/3, obviously tune2fs
does, and I use ReiserFS. What then? I'm interested in the "Maybe" part,
since UUIDs won't work for my situation.

P.S. I hadn't noticed that dave N had started a thread with the same question.
Duh :-)

	JW

--

System Administrator - Cedar Creek Software http://www.cedarcreeksoftware.com