gdm and network-manager issues

Just returned back to debian (been using Ubuntu for a while) and dist-upgraded to sid (as is my habit). All works but I have two annoying things I don't know how to fix.

1.  When I boot up I see this:

Starting gdm
starting avahi
starting dchp D-buss daemon
starting hald
starting MD monitoring servers
starting network connection manager
   a few more then it drops me to the system log on (CLI)

I log in as root, issues "gdm" and X starts, gdm starts.

Why is gdm not auto starting (default inittab runlevel 5 ) I see it come by on the boot messages (not listed in dmesg). Is it because the start up order is wrong (gdm starting before HALD?) How can I fix this? X works, nvidia (the debian way) works.

2. Once I start X and log on as my user I have no DNS service. I can ping but can not resolve names>IP

Here is my /etc/network/interfaces:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.200.15
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.200.1

iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.200.16
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.200.1

auto eth1

auto eth0

As you can see, it has the default Gateway defined there and it is correct.

In order to get networking with DNS working I have to go into to gnome manager and to to the DNS tab and "add" 192.168.200.1 THEN this allows DNS.

/etc/resolv.conf:

# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 192.168.200.1
How can I fix this behavior?

If I go to init 1 and back up, it all works. If I reboot, it will not work auto-magically.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com