Re: character encoding

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 01:50:59PM +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 03:08:24PM -0800, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> > On Dec 31, 2007 1:41 PM, ChadDavis <chadmichaeldavis@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > When I run 'ls' on a given directory, some of the file names show a question
> > > mark in the place of a non-supported character.  In trying to understand
> > > what is happening, I find that I don't understand a couple of fundamentals.
> > >
> > > 1) what is the default encoding of my debian system?
> >
> > On new Etch installs, UTF-8 is the default. On older systems, it depends
> > on you locale (I'm not sure if a system upgraded to Etch would be UTF-8
> > or not). In the US it would be ISO-8859-1 or ISO-8859-15, I think. Use the
> > command "locale" and see what it says. Mine says en_US.UTF-8
>
> I've found that if I generate an utf-8 locale it messes up the little
> arrows in mutt's index. Also a lot of manpages don't show correctly.

I have not real insight into this other than to point out that at some
point a few months ago, this mutt-arrow problem showed up in sid and
then magically went away after a while. By that I mean that there seem
to be some transitional issues that end up sorting themselves out
somewhere between etch and current sid.

not much help, I know.