mouse & keyboard probs under X [WAS: usb mouse problems: etch/gnome/metacity]

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 17:37 +0000, michael wrote:
> On 18 Dec 2007, at 23:57, Adam Porter wrote:
>
> > What video driver?  Does it happen with KDE?  Does it happen with
> > different
> > Linux distros?  Does it happen if you boot a live CD of Ubuntu
> > or...?  Does
> > logging out and back in (without rebooting) fix it?
> >

> t happens frequently but not immediately each time. It used to be okay
> but I'm not sure if any updates may have effected the situation
>
> I use the nVidia driver from their site\
>
> And now I have tested KDE and after a few hours it's not happened at
> all - so seems to be related to Gnome...

actually after using KDE for an hour today, the keyboard froze too...
playing with the control centre somehow reset it such that keyboard
started accepting USB input again

it seems (under Gnome) openning many more application windows (that have
not been previously openned?) somehow resets it so keyboard started
accepting input again

any ideas??! or ways to narrow this down?

thanks, Michael