Re: VMWare player: why no package?

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 01:22:52PM +0200, Sami Kallio wrote:

> I couldn't find any information about the license for VMWare Player on
> vmware webpage, I only could find the EULA which reads:
>
> "3.2 License Limitations. You may not copy the Software except for a
> reasonable number of machine-readable copies of the Software for backup
> or archival purposes and except as expressly permitted in this EULA. You
> may not remove any titles, trademarks or trade names, copyright notices,
> legends, or other propri??etary markings on the Software. You are not
> granted any rights to any trademarks or service marks of VMware. VMware
> retains all rights not expressly granted to you." [1]
>
> I could find a download of source, but it was source for pixops, not
> whole Player [2]

This is what happens when I don't check myself.  I found this page:

http://www.vmware.com/download/open_source.html

I assumed that if Player was listed here, they were releasing its source.
Actually this is just a confusing page they use to contribute back any Open
Source software they've modified for use in their proprietary products.  My
mistake: their own source is not released.

> Maybe I'm just missing (again) something important x)

No, that's me.
--
Carl Fink                           nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com.  Reviews!  Observations!