grub ide=nodma not working

I'm also seeing the same issue with the Debian 4.0 Release (Etch).  I have a custom Celeron based SBC with an IDE CF slot as the primary drive.  The board itself does not support DMA, so I've been using the 'ide=nodma' boot parameter with RedHat 9.0 and Debian Sarge.  On these older distributions, the nodma parameter works fine for both DMA and non-DMA enabled CF cards.

The only thing I'm doing different with my Etch based card is that I'm using a kernel wit in initrd enabled.   I'll try without to see if that helps.