thank you

firstly i'd like to say thanks to you who got back to me on this problem...
the disk i have is a live knoppix disk that came with debian "sarge" which is as kent had suggested it was... i863 or somthing like that, i cant remember without looking... i did what was suggested with the resolution, but alas, all i got was a screen with some multi coloured lines running across the screen sometimes at a slant (much like the loading screen when the tape was loading up on an amstrad lol)
i shall take a look at the read me file and see what that says, should have thought of that first, oops and will let you kind people know how i get on, or if im still stuck, again thanks for the info :-)