cdrom not working after kernel update

Hi all,
I am sort of new to deabian was using kernel 2.6.18 and recently compiled the kernel 2.6.23.8 to get the mac80211 system for the wireless support. but after that when I boot from the new kernel (I have both kernels running) but the cdrom can not mounted for some reason. Then I reinstalled all the modules available in the menuconfig still no luck with it. I loaded the cdrom module by modprob it loads the module without any error yet the problem remains the same. I tried "mount -a" but it does not load it and gives an error.

I also chcked the /dev/ for cdrom it is not there when I boot the system with new kernel. but it is present when I compiled with the old kernels.

What can I do to get the cdrom working.

I am using a HP NW 8440 laptop.

Thank you in advance.

Tharanga