Re: Tool to configure sound

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 00:28:46 +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 11:32:18PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> [...]
> >
> > That is indeed the normal output, so speaker-test seems to think
> > everything is OK. What do you get from running "amixer"?
>
> Florian, hello.  How nice to have your help once again.
>
> Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
>   Capabilities: pvolume
>   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Playback 0 - 255
>   Mono:
>   Front Left: Playback 230 [90%]
>   Front Right: Playback 230 [90%]
> Simple mixer control 'Front',0
>   Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
>   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Playback 0 - 31
>   Mono:
>   Front Left: Playback 24 [77%] [on]
>   Front Right: Playback 24 [77%] [on]
> Simple mixer control 'Line',0
>   Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
>   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Playback 0 - 31
>   Mono:
>   Front Left: Playback 19 [61%] [on]
>   Front Right: Playback 19 [61%] [on]
> Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
>   Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
>   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Playback 0 - 31
>   Mono:
>   Front Left: Playback 4 [13%] [off]
>   Front Right: Playback 4 [13%] [off]
> Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
>   Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
>   Playback channels: Mono
>   Mono: Playback [off]
> Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
>   Capabilities: cvolume cswitch
>   Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Capture 0 - 31
>   Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [off]
>   Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [off]
> Simple mixer control 'Capture',1
>   Capabilities: cvolume cswitch
>   Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Capture 0 - 31
>   Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [on]
>   Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [on]
> Simple mixer control 'Input Source',0
>   Capabilities: enum
>   Items: 'Mic' 'Line'
>   Item0: 'Mic'
> Simple mixer control 'Input Source',1
>   Capabilities: enum
>   Items: 'Mic' 'Line'
>   Item0: 'Mic'
>
> I assume this is listing the results of my last wild click-on-
> anything-to-see-if-it-helps session with alsamixergui.

I don't see anything obvious, but the names and the functions of the
ALSA controls are always a bit counterintuitive to me. (Also, for added
fun, they are different for every card.)

You could keep speaker-test running in one terminal while using
"alsamixer" in another terminal to play with the controls until you hear
sound. (Alsamixer is curses-based; the CURSOR keys move around and
change volume, M toggles muting, SPACE switches values, and TAB changes
between playback and capture channels.) Then it is trial-and-error time:
I would start with looking at "IEC958" and switching the "Input Source"
ones. Sometimes weird interactions exist, for example it is possible
that one channel has to be muted for another channel to have output.
This might take a while; alsamixer at least gives you direct access to
all ALSA channels. (It may well be that alsamixergui also does this; I
simply have never used it.)

          Florian   |