Re: DST: Same procedure as every half-year?

On Wednesday 31 October 2007 10:33, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 10/31/07 02:11, Dan H wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > it happened again (in Germany, anyway). As of Sunday, we're back
> > on winter time (CET). Except my computer ain't. And every
> > half-year I forget just what I did to set the clock right. I've
> > got the timezone set right (Europe/Berlin CET) but the clock
> > lags. Is there some accepted standard and automatic way of
> > honoring DST? Even Windows gets this right. I'm using ntpd to
> > sync my clock. Ntp itself works right -- every now and then I
> > have to erase my buggy BIOS settings, which resets the hardware
> > clock to the Nineties, but when Linux comes up the clock is
> > always correct (except that little DST issue of course).
>
> Automatic clock adjustment has always worked for me.
>
> What branch are you using?  Etch?  Sarge?
>
> What version of tzdata do you have?
>
> --
> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> Jefferson LA  USA

Well, I did a few install of Etch lately, and I notice, for the time to be
adjusted automaticly, that after the install is complete, I had to run
tzconfig. This is for install either with etch only, or with dual boot. First
at the end of each install the time given by date was OK, both UTC and local
(France), but the time given by KDE was out. Having ntp running does not
ajuste the time in KDE. Which would then give wrong time when you send a
mail, say. Then I run tzconfig (which told me Europe and Paris, do you change
it?) and re-enter the time zone, and every thing was OK, and all of the box
adjusted the time automaticly for winter time.