Re: Charging iPod / Listening to music

On Oct 30, 2007, at 4:01 PM, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

Hi there,

 When I plug my iPod using the USB cable I get the 'Do not
disconnect' screen on the ipod. It's great because I can see the ipod
is charging. But to listen to music I do not understand what I need to
do. I tried:

$ eject /dev/sda
-> return an error

 Then I tried :

$ sudo rmmod usb_storage

So you're shutting down the entire USB storage subsystem. Good thing you don't have any other USB-based hard disks plugged in at the same time!

 It works, I can listen to music again, but even if the cable is
pluged it does not seems to be charging...

That makes sense. USB devices have to "request" how much power-draw they want to pull from the host. If you kill the "stuff" that talks to USB devices, they can't request power.

--
Nate Duehr
nate@natetech.com