Re: creative zen management with command-line interface

* cs <cs@networkingnewsletter.org.uk> [071030 16:00]:
> On Sun, 2007-10-21 at 17:43 -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:

>> I have been searching without success for a command-line tool to
>> manage a Creative Zen mp3 player.
>>
>> The only Creative Zen management tool for Linux which I have
>> discovered thus far is gnomad2 (version 2.8.12-2 currently in the
>> Debian "testing" archive).
>>
>> But gnomad2 (which has a GUI) crashes on occasion, takes forever to
>> delete a file, and appears to have left a corrupted file on my
>> Creative Zen.  (Thankfully, Creative built into the Zen a drive
>> clean-up utility.)  So for the Zen, I am using Creative Media
>> Source running in W2000.
>
> Unfort I can't get gnomad2 (2.8.8-1.1) to detect my Zen - is there
> anything specific you had to do?
> Thanks, M

I am running Debian "testing".  I did nothing other than to plug the
Zen (which is a "Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra") into my USB hub,
and gnomad2 was able to see it.

See the gnomad2 project page on sourceforge.net ("Getting your
Jukebox/Zen running under Linux").  See also the gnomad2 README.

I did experience inconsistent behaviour with the USB ports on my
desktop machine, which has an ASUS P4PE motherboard.  Plugging a cable
from the Zen directly into the machine did not always work, but
plugging into a Belkin USB hub which was plugged into the machine
worked every time.

>> I have used gnupod (command-line interface) with a 4th-generation
>> iPod.  It was an enjoyable experience.  I would like to find a tool
>> of this sort to manage the Creative Zen.
>
> Did anybody suggest alternatives to gnomad2??

I have not seen a reply.