Re: Apt-Get or Aptitude

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 05:22:16PM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:

[...]
> aptitude is by far one of the best package management tools out
> there.  Newbies and folks really stuck in the graphic-oriented/desktop
> user world may like synaptic better, but for just getting things done
> -- aptitude wins hands down, almost all the time.

I do agree!  Just occasionally, I fire up synaptic to browse a category,
say stuff to do with sound, or mail for example.  It is slightly easier
in synaptic to browse than it is in aptitude.  And I wish you could
reverse direction in mid-search in aptitude.  I often race past a
relevant match by being too quick on the "n".  If only "b" for back or
"p" for previous or "N" or whatever switched the direction without
having to reenter the search using \ or page up enough times to probably
pass whatever it was you didn't quite see...

Anyway, niggles apart, aptitude rules OK.

--
richard