MIMEDefang Logging Question

I was wondering if somebody would be able to shed some light on a problem
I am having with MIMEDefang logging to syslog.

I have compiled MIMEDefang from source instead of using the Debian
packages.  I am running a Debian testing system otherwise.

Right after I restart the MIMEDefang process my logs will look like this:

Oct 28 04:15:02 apple mimedefang.pl[12585]: greylist: white; 0;
82.118.211.*; dovecot-bounces@dovecot.org; *@stikman.com;

After about 5-10 minutes, the logs will change to this:

Oct 28 09:44:18 apple check[5889]: greylist: white; 0; 70.103.162.*;
bounce-debian-user=jeff=stikman.com@lists.debian.org; *@stikman.com;

The first logs are logged in /var/log/maillog which is correct.  But, the
problem ones get logged to /var/log/messages.

If you notice it says the process is now check instead of mimedefang.pl
sending the output.  How come that changed?  I have restarted mimedefang
and sysklogd, but no change.  It was running fine for a couple of days,
but then the above started happening.  I have been running this same
MIMEDefang on a Gentoo box with no problems.  This is only on the Debian
setup that I have this.  Where is this "check" coming from?  And, how can
I monitor why the syslog facility is changing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff