Re: Re: digital pictures: reordering and renaming (in a different way)

On 10/30/07, Herb Mann <herbmann@kingwoodcable.net> wrote:

Sorry, to bother you, but on a forum you wrote that you can rearrange images in XP via Drag and Drop. What program within XP are you using? This is precisely what I have been looking for.

I just used Windows explorer to do so.

Assume you want a bunch of images to be rearranged and renamed GreatVacation(101).jpg (the first image is 101, next 102 and so on).

Based on memory, here are the steps I followed:
1. Open of the folder containing the pictures and arrange all your pics by dragging and dropping them in the order you want.
2. Select the images that you want renamed sequentially.
3. Select the "Rename" option by right clicking on the *first image*.
4. The name of the file will become editable. Enter the name of you want and the number you want the first file to be. In our example, we would type:
GreatVacation (101).jpg

Note the space before the first parenthesis. The space and parenthesis, both are necessary.

5. Press Enter. The files will be renamed. If you make a mistake, I think you can just click Undo from the menu at the top of the window and repeat the process.

Now, what number to use in the parenthesis depends on the number of pictures you have. If you just used (1) instead, the pictures will start from 1, go on to 10 and and then to 100 so on. But they won't be listed in the proper order later on due to the number of digits varying after 9, after 99 and so on. Using (101), or (1001) or (10001) just fixes the width of the numbers.

In any case, you are stuck with the space and the parenthesis in the filename, neither of which I like in a filename. I fix that in Linux using a little Bash script I wrote. If you want that, let me know and I will paste it here.

regards,
->HS