Problems with installing Debian Linux on a SATA hard disc

Hi there!

I did a search for my problem, but couldn't find the answer. If I
overlooked it, I apologize. Also, I'm quite new to Linux (I've used it
for LaTeX, but not much else, and I'm an absolute novice at installing
Linux.)

About my system:

1. I have a Dell Dimension 5150 with a 320 GB SATA hard disc; on this
disk, there is Windows XP (three partitions on the hard disc).

2. I bought a new internal hard disc (Samsung SATA2 160 GB
(HD160/1HJ)) to install Debian Linux on it (Sarge 3.1r0a, which came
on two DVDs which were part of one of the two main books in German on
Debian Linux).

The problem:

The installation program didn't recognize either of my two hard discs
(neither the one with Windows on it nor the new one): "no partitions
found".

Now, I'm currently downloading DVD iso images with Etch on it in the
hope that Etch can handle SATA hard discs (since Sarge could not). Is
there any point in doing this (i.e., does Etch still have the same
problems with SATA discs)? Or what should I do?

Please note that I'm still quite new to Linux. I have used it in the
past to compile LaTeX documents, but that's about it. And I have only
little experience with installing Linux.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!