Re: Best Kernel?

On 10/28/07, Jeff Grossman <jeff@stikman.com> wrote:

> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> mca cmov
> pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm
> 3dnowext 3dnow

I see an 'lm" there. Have you tried booting a 64bit system (ubuntu
x86-64, perhaps). What I've read suggests that the 'lm' indicates long
mode, or 64 bit stuff.

My brother has a sempron based system (compaq, I think) but I don't
know if his has an earlier or later stepping of the sempron, but his
machine will boot a 64bit system.

On the other hand, I didn't see anything that obviously pointed out
that the cpu is 64 bit capable in the 'cpuid' output.