Switching kernel config from x86_64 to i686

I made the mistake of taking a default or selecting the wrong kernel (my machine is an AMD X2). So I now have a 64 bit kernel (x86_64), which I have read is "transitional". Since so many packages are only 32 bit, my life has gotten complex trying to make everything work and with contemplations of 32 bit UMLs (which apparently have their own issues). So... I would like to switch my system to a plain old i686 optimized 32 bit version of Debian. What is the easiest way to do this? I really do not want to reinstall. I setup a software RAID, have installed a large number of packages, copied a bunch of data onto the drives, done a fair bit of configuration, even built 64 bit versions of the Digium drivers. I am guessing I need to rebuild the kernel as 32 bit (any URLs to doc on how to do this would be wonderful). Do I need to do anything else to install 32 bit versions of all the packages? Or am I screwed? I have primarily used aptitude for package management, except for Asterisk, which I checked out of Subversion and built. Is there an easy way to install 32 bit versions of all the packages? Or make sure that a 32 bit compatible version is installed? Thank you for any help.

Frederick N. Brier