Re(OT): Fresh Etch netinstall problems...

> OT:
>
> I've never had a SMP box.  Do you find for normal desktop use that top
> shows the second processor actually doing anything?  (I know you can't
> answer this for Etch until this problem is solved, but what about
> previous versions or other OSs (e.g. BSD).
>
> Doug.

I have BSDI running on a dual processor Tyan motherboard, and xosview
does show them both being quite well utilised. It isn't so important
if you are only running a single processor intensive application
(although even then it means that app can run at full speed while
your interactive work remains nice and responsive) but with two
processor intensive tasks (like an xserver processing screen updates
for xosview whilst I'm compressing a movie) it is very worthwhile.

This box is intended to be a server (SMB, HTTP, SMTP etc) as well as
being usable as a workstation, so I think it would be worthwhile.

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com