Re: CUPS: Shared printers not shown

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 21:08:52 +0100, Claudius Hubig wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
> >On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 15:42:32 +0100, Claudius Hubig wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've got the following systems, all connected to the local network:
> >>
> >> A: Running Debian Etch, no printer connected
> >> B: Running Debian Etch, Epson Stylus C86 connected & published
> >> C: Running Debian Sid, Canon IP 4200 connected & published
> >> D: Running Debian Etch, no printer connected
> >>
> >> A sees all the printers in the network and is able to print on them,
> >> the same goes for B. C only sees the IP 4200 (and can print on it),
> >> while D seems to have absolutely no clue where to print.
> >>
> >> I just set this up using the webinterface from CUPS, published those
> >> printers and asked it to show published printers from other systems -
> >> this worked for A and B.
> >>
> >> Now my question: How can I make the two printers be visible on D and
> >> the Epson Stylus be shown on C?
> >>
> >> There seems to be absolutely no information about this in the net,
> >> thus I'd really welcome any hints available.
> >
> >Can each machine see the shares on the other hosts if you use the tools
> >from the "smbclient" package?

[...]

> Sorry if I did not write that there's no Samba server running on my
> entire network, just plain CUPS. Like this, the above command results
> in an error connecting to <ip> (Connection refused).

I seem to have this knee-jerk reaction that I automatically think of
Windows if network printing problems are mentioned. I somehow missed the
fact that only Debian machines are involved this time...

Let's see, can you connect to the CUPS frontend of machines B and C if
you use a browser on D? What happens if you add a printer on D and put
in the appropriate ipp://hostname[:port]/resource device URI for the
printers on B and C? Do you have any access restrictions (firewall,
portmapping) on B and C? If you run nmap on D, what is reported for port
631 on B and C?

          Florian   |