Re: Apt-Get or Aptitude

On Oct 27, 2007, at 11:01 AM, Jeff Grossman wrote:

I was just reading the forums at forums.debian.org and came across a thread about apt-get and aptitude. I just installed Debian this week after moving over from Gentoo. I have only been using the apt- get method because that is all I ever saw mentioned. But, I guess aptitude is the preferred Debian method now. Is there a safe way for me to start using aptitude instead of apt-get? What is the best way for me to make the switch?

The main difference is that aptitude in default configuration mode will track dependencies added for packages requested and if no package needs the dependency anymore, it can remove it.

apt-get isn't that smart.

--
Nate Duehr
nate@natetech.com