Re: aptitude upgrade through proxy

On 10/25/07, Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 08:51:44PM -0600, Javier Vasquez <jevv.cr@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> > I've used http_proxy/ftp_proxy to enable apt-get to download packages
> > through a proxy server whenever required.
> >
> > However I've tried the same environment variables with aptitude with
> > no luck...  Looks like aptitude doesn't pay attention to them.  Does
> > any one know how to overcome this?  Also, I liked the environment
> > variables solution because it can be temporally enabled/disabled,
> > without having to edit a config file everytime one wants to change...
> > I've tried looking in the man page, but didn't find anything...
>
>  How are you running aptitude and apt-get (command-lines)?  In particular,
> are you running aptitude as a user and then automatically su-ing to root?
> I wouldn't be 100% confident that this preserves environment variables.
>
>  Other than that, I'm not sure what could be happening: aptitude
> doesn't clear out the environment, and the code that reads http_proxy is
> used in both aptitude and apt-get.
>
>  Daniel

When I configure apt.conf.d/proxy, then things work...  I use apt-get
and aptitude with sudo as a non root user.  Might be the the
environment variables are lost with sudo?  I don't recall if when I
used apt-get with the environment variables I did it so under root and
not with sudo.  I can't tell...  I'd prefer using environment
variables, just to avoid overwriting configuration file every time...

Thanks a lot,

--
Javier