Re: getting scim to work on KDE

On 10/25/07, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> This was one step I had missed. The second one was to put:
> >> #GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
> >> GTK_IM_MODULE="scim-bridge"
> >> #QT_IM_MODULE=xim
> >> QT_IM_MODULE="scim-bridge"
> >
> >> in /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim. For which I had to install scim-bridge
> >> package.
> >
> >> Then logging out and loggin back in gave me the SCIM toolbar in KDE
> >> which is toggled using CTRL+Space.
> >
> >> Thanks a ton!
> >> ->HS
> >

> > I am not so sure, but I guess that the packages like
> > scim-bridge-client-qt or scim-bridge-client-gtk are only needed if you
> > use the immodule version of scim. For the XIM setting, they may not be
> > needed.
> >
> > In fact I am not sure about the differences between the traditional XIM
> > input methods for standard X applications and the advanced immodule
> > input methods for specific qt or gtk applications. I heard that immodule
> > ones add fancy functions to control the cursor etc. But I also heard
> > that immodule platform (especially the one for qt) has not been very
> > mature yet, while the traditional XIM methods work well for me. Would
> > anyone please let me know whether this is correct or not? Thank you.
> >

> Well, something doesn't seem to be right with my setup. Scim works in
> Icedove, iceweasel and gaim. But it doesn't work in kate or konsole.
> What am I missing?

I am not sure whether it is a problem of using immodule. You may try to
use the traditional XIM method by changing the /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim
file back.

I believe that XIM should work with all common X applications. Regardless
whether they are qt or gtk based. I never used immodule input methods so
cannot comment them too much.

HTH

--
Cheers,