From: Daniel Akulenok
Sent: 15. oktober 2007 16:48
To: 'debian-user@lists.debian.org'
Subject: RTC problems in Debian on PowerEdge 1950

Hi guys,
I'm trying to get a vmware server up and running in a Debian 4.0 on a
Dell PowerEdge 1950 rack server, but I have some problems with RTC.

Symptoms:
- When running "hwclock", Debian says "select() to /dev/rtc to wait for
clock tick timed out".
- When starting a guest host on vmware-server in Debian, I get about
3500/sec log messages about "rtc: lost some interrupts at 2048Hz". Some
times it changes to 1024 or 4096.

Attempted solutions:
- Changed HWCLOCKPARS in /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh to "--directisa", didn't
solve.
- Rebuilt kernel with Hz set to 100 and 1000, both didn't solve.
- Tried the 2.6.23 kernel, didn't solve.

One solution that I've found on google is to just switch to Ubuntu
Server, but I don't want to do that, as Debian is the required spec for
our vmware servers here.

Please help, I'm desperate!

PS. Please CC all mails to me, as I'm not a member of the list.

Kind regards,
Dak.