Re: unable to boot

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 06:41:03PM +0200, abdelkader belahcene wrote:
> Hi,
> I bought a toshiba (duo-core 1gb memory) laptop  with vista,
>
> I want to install debian,  first problem If I use the recovery wind
> disk, All the disk is erased , even If I created partition ??
>
> Second problem more complicated,   I install debian in  free space,
> The windows is recognized as system as usual, so I installed the multi
> boot (grub)
>
> I was suprised when I restart the computer, it gives just a line stage
> 1, please wait for the loading.;;;;  ,  I waited, waited   but it
> stopped there ??

it sounds like grub didn't get properly installed or perhaps your
drive is unrecognisable to grub somehow.
boot the debian installer in rescue-mode and attempt to reinstall
grub. poke around and make sure you can see all the various parts of
grub in the /boot/grub directory to make sure its in there. You'll
likely need *_stage1_5 files as well as the usual stage1 and stage2.