CUPS vs lp: Cannot print from acroread

Hi all,

I am having problems printing from acroread. I have set up a HP 1320 laser printer using CUPs, and can print PDF files from KPDF without any problems. When I try to print from acroread, my system gets sluggish for 10-15 secs (although top shows nothing very unusual during this time) until finally the print dialog of acroread appears. After I click on "print" one sees the job getting sent off to the printer, but the job lands in nirvana and nothing gets printed.
Using the CUPS/manage jobs page at localhost:631, I see no new job.

If I enter lpq, bash tells me

lpq
lpq: lp: unknown printer

Thanks a lot, Peter