Re: Adding hard drive to a laptop

On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 10:56:21PM -0400, cga2000 wrote:

> You're telling me this won't work because I need grub's stage 1 in the
> boot sector, right?

I think that "won't work" is far too strong.  You can do this, but
before you swap the drives around, after you have copied the data, put
grub on the second drive while running on the first drive; but you have
a choice to consider first.  If you just go with the standard grub
menu.list, when you swap drives, it should find everything fine but I
would print out your menu.list so that you have a record of it.  Then,
when you boot the new drive and (hopefully) get grub, if it doesn't
work, you can go to the grub command line and enter what you need.

Having a second computer on which you can read the grub manual is very
helpful.  Having a grub-disk to boot if necessary may also be helpful;
making one ahead of time would be prudent.  See the grub-disk package if
you can boot a floppy.

Doug.