arecord and level meters

Hello,

If I have a recoding going on using arecord (perhaps automated by using
the at command) in the background, is there any way I can see the input
 meter levels by logging in to the machine?

At present, on Debian Testing, if I am recording using arecord and fire
  up audacity just to check the input levels in audacity, I get this and
no monitoring of levels:
$> audacity&
[1] 17219
$> JACK tmpdir identified as [/dev/shm]
Expression 'parameters->channelCount <= maxChans' failed in
'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 786
Expression 'ValidateParameters( inputParameters, hostApi,
StreamDirection_In )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c',
line: 1774
Expression 'parameters->channelCount <= maxChans' failed in
'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 786
Expression 'ValidateParameters( inputParameters, hostApi,
StreamDirection_In )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c',
line: 1774
Expression 'parameters->channelCount <= maxChans' failed in
'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 786
Expression 'ValidateParameters( inputParameters, hostApi,
StreamDirection_In )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c',
line: 1774

But if I am not running arecord, audacity shows the levels properly.
Probably some trouble with device sharing(?)

So, how do I go about seeing the input levels while arecord is working
in the background?

->HS