mkboot -- "if GRUB is installed it does nothing .."

This is what "man mkboot" tells me.

"If GRUB is installed, it does nothing.  If LILO is in use, it runs
/sbin/lilo.  If SILO is installed, it does nothing.  Otherwise, mkboot
will make a new bootdisk."

Well that's not true.

lilo is not installed on this system and yet when I ran mkboot it did
create a boot floppy alright.

I was installing a new kernel and as recommended by Kevin McKinley's
excellent document: "Creating custom kernels with Debian's
kernel-package system" I decided to create a boot floppy just in case.

As usual I had no problem booting either the new or the old kernel but
I was never able to boot off of the floppy created by "mkboot".

Couldn't find the "root system" or something.

Does this mean that with everyone coming up with their improved "rescue
disks" and floppy drives becoming a rarity, boot floppies are now a
thing of the past?

Or are there circumstances when making a boot floppy is still advisable?

If so, since mkboot appears to require lilo, what's the alternative for
us grub guys?

Thanks,
cga