trickle + tsocks + pan, oh my!

I'm trying to get the Pan newsreader to work over a socksified
connection with some bandwidth-limiting in place. I've been able to get
pan working fine with tsocks, and with trickle, but I can't seem to get
it working with both at the same time.

I'm assuming this is because trickle can't call tsocks because it isn't
dynamic (so no "trickle tsocks pan") and the other way around doesn't
seem to socksify anything (e.g. no joy with "tsocks trickle pan").

Has anyone gotten a similar configuration to work? What are my
alternatives?

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
	-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"