Re: Help with Debian Install

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 21:00:18 +0200, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 05:23:35PM -0000, Ed wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I downloaded an image called debian-40r1-i386-netinst.iso.  The install
>> went fine until I got to the step to 'Configure the Package Manager'.
>> When I do this step, it asks if I want to use a network mirror and I
>> choose 'yes'.  It then asks for a protocol and I choose 'http' although
>> I also tried 'ftp' and it fails also.  Next it asks for a country and I
>> choose 'United States'. Next it asks for a archive mirror.  I have
>> tried nearly all, but currently I am trying ' '.
>> It asks if I need a proxy and I leave that blank and hit 'continue'.
>> Then it says scanning the mirror, but I see no activity on my modem.
>> After a few seconds it reports that "Bad archive Mirror - The specified
>> Debian
>
> have you confirmed that the network is up? switch to a VT (alt-f2) and
> try pinging various addresses.
>
> btw, what "modem" are you talking about here?

You are on the right track.  I can NOT ping linux.csua.berkeley.edu or
it's ip address which is 169.229.49.36. I can ping other computers on my
home network.  The modem I was referring to is my dsl modem.  The install
CD has not reported any errors up to the point I mention above.  Is there
a different install image I should download and use.  I was not too keen
on downloading the 20+ cd images for a complete CD install.  Do you know
which ones I would need just for gnome and firefox for starters?
Thanks
Ed